As we struggle to return back to what we consider normal, we must also change our habits and begin the process of treating this Amazing Earth with more respect and care.
Earth Day is April 22, 2021 and the theme this year is Restore Our Earth. Earthday.org will begin several virtual summits starting April 20th and continuing through April 22, 2021. Visit their website at: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2021/ for a schedule of events and how you can help.
Listed below are 5 simple things you can do right now to Restore Our Earth and make a change.
1. Buy reusable items over single use such as reusable water bottles, stainless steel straws, cotton carry bags, utilize beeswax instead of plastic wrap or plastic baggies and use lunch boxes instead of paper lunch bags.
2. Skip plastic containers and try buying essential foods like beans, nuts, flour, sugar, cereal in your own reusable bags. This lessens plastic waste one step further.
3. Buy local and in season fruits and vegetables. Buying fruits and vegetables that are out of season means they have been flown around the world to your store which leaves a terrible carbon footprint. Eating local fruits and vegetables at the right time of year is healthier for your body and digestion system and supports your local farmers
4. Shop second hand. I understand you want the latest fashion trends, but fast fashion is terrible on the environment and many of the working conditions are horrific for the individuals who work there. While there are several Ecco friendly fabrics to choose to purchase, buying second hand is the best way to help save the environment and means one-of-a-kind fashions for you.
5. Volunteer at earthday.org and follow their Earth Day Live series for up to the minute tips on how to restore this Amazing Earth.
These are just a few simple and quick ways to help the Earth. Even one small act from one person can begin a big change to positively help Earth and all her inhabitants. What will you do today?